Tuesday, April 14, 2009

He said they call me hippy,

he said they call me hippie',
as he sat down next to me,
he said I don’t need much in life,
I just love being free,

he said my name is hippie',
and I'm from' another time,
where people did things for purpose,
not just to chase' another dime.


at first I sat there thinking',
oh shit, here we go,
but after just a few minutes,
our conversation began to flow,

he told me he was born in this city,
before it grew so large,
then he moved out to the country,
where over his own life, he could be in charge,

I laughed and said, ain’t it funny,
my story is reverse,
I grew up in the mountains,
but that slow life I cursed,

I moved out here chasing' money,
and a change from those slow ways,
now I wake up missing the mountains,
each and every day.

Fiddle Solo....

our conversation stretched on for hours,
covering everything and nothing at all,
politics, religion,
pickin’ mushrooms in the spring,
leaves changing in the fall.

he said I don’t trust big government,
and where this country is headed,
I raised up my glass of PBR,
and said… man you just said it!

Fiddle Solo....

he story went on about rebuilding a town after a hurricane,
a pop up camp town in Alabama,
like living life out on the range,

we toasted to entrepreneurship,
as he told me about the way,
he earned extra money bootlegging for the thirsty laborers,
at the end of long hard days,

a dry town with a 5 o’clock curfew,
required someone to take a dare.
to get to the highway, required a 4 wheel drive, a little luck, and a prayer.

he said they call me hippie,
as he sat down next to me,
he said I don’t need much in life,
I just love being free,

he said my name is hippie,
I am from another time,
where people did things for purpose,
not just to move things down the line.


after what seemed like just moments,
but what took up most my day,
I turned and said to hippie,
I gotta get on my way,

I said till next time hippie',
thanks for sitting down next to me,
I said thank you to hippie',
for reminding me what it means to be free.

I told the bartender one more for hippie',
I have to be gettin' on my way,

and as I rose up from my bar stool,
I thanked God for Sunday mornings, good conversation, guys named hippie', and PBR at Cowboy Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment