Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's a good life, we ain't dead yet....

he was sitting there,
looking beat down
with his ripped shirt,
shootin’ whiskey down,

he looked like he,
had all he could stand,
with his muddy boots,
and his callused hands.

the scars on his face,
told the story how,
his hard working days,
knocked his life around,

when his beer was done,
he ordered another round,
looked over at me,
and started to smile.

through his missin’ teeth,
he looked at me and said
it’s a good life,
we ain’t dead yet.

I am here until I die,
and for that,
how could I dare to cry,
I get to live,
to see another day,
to kiss my wife,
to see my children play.

so through it all.
the good and the bad,
my life is great,
I won’t be sad,
I’ve earned my scars,
I can’t be upset
It’s a good life,
I ain’t dead yet


these calluses,
I’m thankful for,
and hopefully before I die,
I’ll get to have some more,

these muddy boots,
are a tribute to,
the type of work,
I was born to do,
this ripped shirt,
was a hand me down,
wore by my grandfather,
who built this town

I could sit here and whine,
about what I don’t have,
about how hard it is,
or where I am

but why would I,
curse this path,
that put me here,
where I could stand
on my own two feet,
so proud to say,
my life is great,
I wouldn’t want it any other way

I am here,
until I die
and for that,
how could I cry
I get to live,
to see another day,
to kiss my wife,
to see my children play

so through it all,
the good and the bad
my life is great,
I won’t be sad
I’ve earned my scars,
I can’t be upset,
it's a good life,
we ain't dead yet

No comments:

Post a Comment